Friday, May 30, 2014

'I'M AN ARTISTE'


An artiste is a protected species.

They have talent so vast, its fringes are unobservable. They can create stunning work, seemingly at will and at a moment's notice.

A drawing. A song. A painting. Created in the time it takes you or I to make an instant coffee.

Artistes are a mystery. From what deep recesses of their soul, of the fabric of their consciousness, are they able to draw this glowing, warm nectar of pure creativity?

And like many mysteries, they have quirks.

Not showing up on time. Not responding to basic communications. Ignoring deadlines with a contemptuous wave of their hand. Dismantling relationships in a single evening of bizarre behaviour.

Yes, this is the caricature of an artiste.

And every word of it is a convenient fabrication.

Yes, artists can be a bit mercurial. Changeable temperament comes hand in hand with some of the more impressive forms of creative expression.

But let me be abundantly clear, a true artist does not let their work suffer. All other elements of life are on the table, but not the work.

Do you think the major music acts reached their pinnacle by never delivering new music? There are so many new artists that a flaky musician, albeit a talented one, is easily shelved.

What use is a painter who never paints anything?

I'm currently working on an animation, meaning I am dealing with a number of artistes. If I had a dollar for every excuse I have heard for missed deadlines, this small project would have an enormous budget. It's just shy of "a dog ate my homework".

Ultimately, the response ends up something like "I wasn't in the mood to draw."

I hope you are as bamboozled by this response as I was.

And I hope you learn the lesson I have discovered first hand. Whether you are the artiste, or the one collaborating with them.

True artists let nothing stand between them and their muse. They are prolific.

An artiste uses the cliches of artistic temperament to avoid adhering to schedule.

An artist is a creative who gets things done.

An artiste is a codename for an unreliable douche.


- - - - - - - - -
WANT TO COMMENT? THEN BECOME A SUBSCRIBER AND ALSO GET THIS WHIMSICALLY OPTIMISTIC NEWSLETTER STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL.
http://www.openingactfilms.com/contact-us.html