Friday, February 17, 2012

STARTING OUT WITH A BANG


Well, hello...hello...hello.

To be honest I wasn't sure you would all make it back. 2012 is the year it all ends after all. Or was the Mayan Calendar maker just lazy?

The first 'new thing' of the new year is always the most scrutinised. I often wonder if that poor baby who makes headlines for being 'the first born in 2012' just reached the peak of their entire lives at the age of 38 seconds.

To live up to any 'first of the new year' expectations you have for me is like catching a unicorn. By that I mean extraordinarily difficult, not awesome. Maybe it's both.

So, to do my best, I have three offerings for you: a revelation, an update and a gift.

First, the revelation.

I have to put the gift last. To keep you reading. It's an honour system.

The revelation: I've missed you.

I have been quietly looking forward to the return of 'Tales From the Opening Act'. You keep my mind sharp. Hopefully I can return the favour.

Second, the update.

As you know, I like to make predictions. It is way more interesting and insightful than dwelling on the past.

So, how has my radar on prognosticating been?

In November, I said I thought it odd that Kodak took the time to respond to negative rumours and announced that everything was going great (http://www.openingactfilms.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/exaggeration_11.html). According to them, they were producing loads of film and things were on the right track. It seemed strange to me that they even took pains to make that announcement. Why bother?

The answer was MUCH faster than I expected.

In early January it was announced that Kodak was teetering on the edge of filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the United States.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577140841495542810.html

By late January, they were already there:

http://if.com.au/2012/01/20/article/Kodak-files-for-Chapter-11-in-US-bankruptcy-court/FQOZKFPKQO

This does not mean they are bankrupt. It means they are at risk of becoming so, if they don't reorganise, and need protection from the people they owe money to coming to get them. So, they file for Chapter 11 Protection from their creditors. It may not be bankruptcy, but it certainly isn't good.

How did the company that INVENTED the digital camera get destroyed by it? Even the inventor of the 'Uzi' machine gun died of natural causes. Curious.

Finally, if you have made it this far, your gift.

Now, keep in mind this is a Film, TV and Media related newsletter. If you are expecting earrings, you may be disappointed.

In my travels, I came across an Academy and Emmy award winning professional-grade editing program, 'Lightworks'.

The software has over 20 years of history in the film and broadcast industries and you can download it for FREE at http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Keep in mind that I paid $1400 for my Final Cut Pro film editing software, so free is a pretty good deal.

So, if you have a camera (even an iphone with a camera!), and a story to tell, now you have NO reason not to be shooting and editing it into your magnum opus in 2012.

With that in mind, I know 2012 will be a great year for us. Productive, challenging and fun.

It won't be perfect, but who has use for a unicorn these days anyway?

- - - - - - - - -
GET THIS WHIMSICALLY OPTIMISTIC NEWSLETTER STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL. http://www.openingactfilms.com/subscribecontact-us.html