Thursday, December 01, 2011

THE SHOW MUST....


This one will be very short and sweet.

I wouldn't wish food poisoning on anyone.

I had this great idea for this week's newsletter, about the 'Gamesification' of the world, especially in entertainment content. Like any idea, it was fermenting nicely over a few days.

Then, on the weekend, I went for a lunch with a friend of mine and a mutual acquaintance. We chatted about film, possible moves to L.A. and the idea of living comfortably off of arts grants. It was lovely and we all parted ways after a few hours and a good chin wag.

That night, a wild and violent party broke out...in my stomach.

I'll save you the detail, but 5 days, 2 doctors visits and some strong medication later, and I am starting to feel a bit better. Yeesh.

But the show must go on. So, with that in mind, I thought I would share something small I noticed while on Facebook Chat. I was talking to a writer/director friend of mine, who was contemplating what he should do next. He made a good short film, has a few options now, but is paralysed by the thought of actually choosing something.

There is a lot of debate about whether we are living in a "short attention span" world now. There are a lot of negatives to this development, but one positive is it forces us to be more concise.

When I read back my reply to my friend, I realised that being forced to write small sentences in Facebook Chat, made me give better advice than if I had a page of free text.

I said:

when you're lost in the edit
go back to the script
good advice I got once
you had a story to tell
you told it well
it still has life out there
and is a stepping stone to a next thing
or the weight around your neck of the one great thing you did
up to you which one


That may not mean a lot to you, but it did to him.

So, what advice can I offer you?

Don't eat the grilled chicken sandwich.

- - - - - - - - -
GET THIS WHIMSICALLY OPTIMISTIC NEWSLETTER STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL. http://www.openingactfilms.com/subscribecontact-us.html